Post 104 Minutes...
July 2022 Meeting
Monday, 11 July, 2022, at 1900, Post Commander Ed Harwood called to order the monthly (second Monday) meeting of William E. Dillard American Legion Post 104, Inc., at the American Legion Hall, 915 West Main St., Sylva, NC. Present were 19 post members and 2 guest.
Sergeant of Arms, Ron Short marched the colors to the front of the room-posted them in their stand and Commander Harwood led the members in a hand salute. Chaplain Burrus Jones offered the opening prayer. Commander Harwood read the American Legion statement to honor all missing U.S. POW and MIA's. Members viewed the empty POW and MIA logo embossed black chair on display. The Commander led those present in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance and the Preamble to the American Legion Constitution.
Adjutant Larry Agle summarized the minutes of the June 2022 meeting which received approval by a voice vote, with Richard Wilson making the motion and seconded by George Elliott.
Adjutant Larry Agle presented the current financial report. The report received approval by a voice vote, Linda Nee making the motion and seconded by Marty Childress.
Membership and Recruiting Report
Membership Officer Larry Agle gave report and there are currently 3 members, registered, who have paid their dues for 2022 – 2023 fiscal year. The 2023 dues (1 July 2022 – 30 June 2023) are now due and members can renew by mail, in person, or online. (*Note: see additional information on dues rate in Business and Announcements below), with the Post keeping $7.50 ($12.50) and the balance going to the Department of North Carolina ($9.00) and the National American Legion ($18.50). Mail payments to American Legion Post 104, at P. O. Box 104, Sylva, NC 28779. 2023 DUES: the price of dues will go to $40.00 on 01-01-2023. Save $5 by paying before this date.
Members can pay their annual dues on line at the National Headquarters web site . To complete this action, have your American Legion membership number and a credit card available. As you finish, you can print off a temporary membership card plus a receipt to serve as “proof of membership” until Membership Officer Agle mails or gives you a permanent card.
Business and Announcements
1. New Members: John Bynes, Michael Thames, and Stephen Mayfield. Welcome to all three of these guys. Michael just received a job transfer to New Zeeland but still joined our post. One other guest, Mike Moon, from Jacksonville Fl., will hopefully be joining our post soon.
2. “Letters from Home” a Mason/Shriners show that will be performed this Friday in Franklin, 7 pm, at the Smokey Mountain Center for Performing Arts. Admission is $25 which will go to WCU speech and hearing clinic.
3. Angie Toomie presented “5 Wishes” document which provides instructions for caregivers of serious ill individuals. More info on this can be found at
4. FISH FRY was a pretty good success. The post received $754 ($714 and $40) in donations which were deposited into United Community Bank.
5. Legion College will be July 22-23 at the Village Inn in Clemmons, NC.
6. No Breakfast this month due to busy schedules.
7. Commander Harwood is STILL looking for a person to fill the Americanism chair. This person would have some obligations to contact outside businesses during certain times of the year and gather information, get names of award winners, etc.. If you feel you could help out in this way please contact Ed to discuss it further. The Legion Riders will assist this chairperson by taking care of the 9/11 ceremonies.
8. Legion Riders: 7-23-22 Smoky Mountain Veterans stand down benefit concert at Cowee School in Franklin, Legion Riders will have information tent set up.
9. Legion Riders Community Service Project for the entire Legion Family. Please knit/crochet hats and scarves for children and adults to be passed out this next winter to whomever may need them!
VicVice-Commander Roy Burnette stated that we performed zero funerals since the last meeting. However, we did lose the following individuals.
Thoughts and Prayers
- Rick Blomgren had knee surgery and is having some difficulty.
- Howard Rohner will be having hip surgery on 8/8.
- Judy's grandson, Barrett “BA”, has lung issues.
- Dickie's son, Eric, has tumor on lungs.
- Ed's friend, “Crazy” Larry Newman, former paramedic/police officer is in Hospice care. His left leg had to be amputated and right foot in bad shape.
Please keep all of these folks and their families in your prayers.
Chaplain Burrus Jones offered the closing prayer, Commander Harwood led the group in a hand salute and declared the meeting adjourned at 1936.
Larry Agle, Adjutant
- Phillip F Smith, 86, Army, member of post 880 in Eden, NY, honor guard.
- Richard Allison, Marine, friend of Roy.
- Brenda Oliver Holt, Sylva's first female town commissioner and Mayor.